ABOUT THE ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
The Charge of the Advocacy Committee is to:
- Help ULA members effectively advocate for sustainable funding and support for library services.
- Promote legislative and advocacy support for library related legislation.
- Alert and advise ULA Leadership on opportunities to influence public policy that may directly impact library services.
- Co-Chair – Peter Bromberg email@example.com
- Co-Chair – Rebekah Cummings firstname.lastname@example.org
- Develop Process for Building Legislative Agenda
- Nurturing UT Library Advocates Team. Onboard new leaders from ULA, UELMA, UEA.; work collaboratively on legislative funding and policy agendas and rapid response actions.
- Leverage social media and coalition partners to identify Utahns who support libraries
- Continue Building Relationships with Legislators
- Map out constituency relationships between ULA members and elected officials
- Continue to strengthen relationship with Utah Cultural Alliance and promote individual library memberships which support UCA’s legislative/lobbying for libraries
Bills We are Tracking
- Bills will be added to this space
Actions You Can Take
- Sign and share the I Love Utah Libraries Pledge
- Get to know your legislators personally. Invite them to visit the Library. Take photos and put in newsletters and in your social media. Tag them, and thank them for visiting and supporting the library!
Utah Library Advocates Guide
Calling libraries “an investment in our future,” representatives from the Utah Library Association (ULA), Utah Education Association (UEA), Utah Educational Library Media Association (UELMA), and Utah Library Media Supervisors (ULMS) announced the release of an eBook titled Utah Libraries: Keystone of Healthy Democracy, Student Success, and Prosperous Communities. The eBook highlights the value of libraries and their role in defending the freedom to read by providing useful information and actions that Utahns can take to fight censorship, including a parents’ guide for talking to kids about difficult topics.
NEWS and UPDATES
- August 3, 2022 ULA/UELMA Joint Statement on Alpine School District Book Removals
- June 13, 2022 Statement on Censorship of Pride Display at Orem Public Library
The Utah Library Association became aware of a censorship issue at Orem Public Library through a social media post by a former employee on May 29 which stated that the Orem City Council is forbidding the library from doing any displays in the children’s area related to Pride Month in Utah. ULA, along with Equality Utah, PFLAG, and Utah LGBTQ+ Chamber of Commerce has issued a Statement on Censorship of the Pride display along with a press release.
- April 2022: 45 Days of Advocacy, Libraries are Vital: Rebekah Cummings, ULA Advocacy Committee Co-Chair recorded a video for the Utah Cultural Alliance promoting the value of libraries.
- January 27, 2022: Advocacy Training: On January 27, 2022, the Advocacy Committee held an online advocacy training. If you missed the training or would like to review it, a recording of the training and the slides for the training are both available.