MPLA (Mountain Plains Library Association)
MPLA Representative 2018-2021 – Joe Frazier
The Mountain Plains Library Association (MPLA) is a twelve state association of librarians, library paraprofessionals and friends of libraries in Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming. Its purpose is to promote the development of librarians and libraries by providing significant educational and networking opportunities.
2020 MPLA Leadership Institute Applications Open for Fellows
June 7 – 12, 2020
Yavapai College, Prescott, AZ
Fellow Applications Due: November 15, 2019
For the 12th MPLA Leadership Institute, we welcome Mark Puente, Director of Diversity and Leadership Programs at the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). We also offer this invaluable experience at a new location: Yavapai College and time frame of early June.
Admittance to one of 30 slots is a competitive process. Plan your application now!
More details are available on the MPLA Leadership Institute web page.
Fellow Applicants Qualifications:
- Current member (in good standing with paid membership at time of application submission) of an MPLA – affiliated state library association OR of MPLA itself
- Minimum of 5 years in a library-related job with progressive experience
- Record of experience that demonstrates leadership potential
- Expected continued contribution to the library and information science profession
- Commitment to arrive at the Institute site by 5:00 PM Sunday, June 7, 2020 and remain on site and fully engaged until adjournment Friday morning, June 12, 2020
- Thoughtfully completed application that addresses:
- What leadership means to you
- Your leadership skills and qualities
- Instances where you displayed leadership qualities
- Learning goals
- Where you see yourself in 5 years
- Your perceived contribution to the profession
- 2 letters of recommendation
* Preference may be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Employed in a library entity within MPLA’s 12-state region
- Consistent MPLA membership (2 years or more)
- Commitment to serving on an MPLA committee or other leadership position after the institute
- MPLA members = $750* (paid memberships for 2019 & 2020); Non-MPLA members = $850*. No charge for mentors.
- Fellows and mentors also pay for their own transportation costs. Individual libraries, state libraries, and associations have assisted attendees with registration and/or transportation costs in the past. It is up to the individual to pursue these or other sources of financial assistance.
*Includes lodging at double-occupancy rates and all but one evening meal on site. Requests for single-occupancy rooms will be addressed on a case-by-cases basis and will incur extra charges.
Selection and notification: 30 participants will be selected through a process involving MPLA state representatives and the MPLA Leadership Institute Committee. Notifications will be sent by December 15, 2019.
Application form: https://forms.gle/C3Ph2h32qv4K8yaT8
Location: Yavapai College campus, Prescott Valley, Arizona.
You can support MPLA without any additional cost to you. Here’s how:
If you are in an area with Kroger stores, please consider linking your loyalty card to MPLA’s Community Rewards account. Here’s how:
Once logged into your King Soopers/Kro
ger account, search for Mountain Plains Library Association by name or our account: KK820. Then click Enroll. New users will need to create an account which requires some basic information, a valid email address and a loyalty card.