Free Training & Professional Development for Library Trustees & Friends
Calendar of free online training opportunities for staff, trustees, and friends, maintained by the Wyoming State Library.
FREE ARCHIVED WEBINARS: Library Campaign Training Institute, American Library Association’s Office for Library Advocacy.
Part 1: Building your Base – (presented July 14, 2016). This workshop makes the connection between program and services outreach and building a library’s base of support for advocacy. This workshop details:
- Using recent research as well as preparing public service return on investment calculations.
- How to map a community.
- Options for program development – examples used are the Recreation market and local elected officials.
- Connection between customer service and advocacy.
- Use of social media.
- Managing data.
- Using volunteer messengers.
Part 2: The Best Defense is a Good Offense – (presented July 21, 2016). This workshop provides participants with the knowledge needed to:
- Create a campaign plan.
- Recruit volunteer leadership.
- Detail roles and responsibilities..
Part 3: Message, Marketing, & Media – (presented July 28, 2016). This workshop walks participants through:
- How to develop a campaign message using values and emotional branding.
- Integrating that message into campaign outreach.
- Public presentations.
- Using the media to advance the message.
Part 4 + 5: Connecting with YES Voters + Get out the Vote – (presented August 4, 2016). This workshop details the nuts and bolts of a library field operation including:
- Targeting through using enhanced voter files.
- Phone Banking/Direct Mail/Social Media/Email/Voter Tracking
This workshop brings the previous four together with the ultimate goal of reaching out to Yes voters and getting them to the polls.
The Library Trustee Center maintained by the State Library provides learning resources and tools for trustees:
If you are a new library trustee, here you will find a lot of information to get you started on the right track. If you are a seasoned library board member, here you will find resources to help you become even more effective in your role as trustee.
The Trustee Academy Courses provide excellent online learning for new trustees. There are three archived webinars to choose from:
- Trustee Basics, Part I & II
- Advocating for Your Library
- Evaluating the Library Director
- Working Effectively with Your Library Trustees
Contact the State Library for the login and password to access these courses:
801-715-6777 | 1-800-662-9150 | library.utah.gov