We survived the ApocEclipse! I am truly amazed at the response level we received from the public about this rare event and have to give a shout out to all of the Utah libraries that provided programming around the Total Solar Eclipse. I heard some had up to 2,000 people attend their events!
I’m excited for the call for session proposals to go out soon for our Annual Conference next year. It’s so fun to see what everyone has been working on. I encourage you to submit even if it scares you. A presentation at Annual Conference equals at least 1000 experience points and will help you Level Up!
Valerie Buck and Erin Morris have been working hard to organize the ULA Fall Workshop at the Park City Library on Friday, September 29th. The theme is “Mining the Library Motherlode.” We’ll have the privilege to hear from Salt Lake City Public Library Director Peter Bromberg who I like to call “The Librarian Whisperer.” There will also be presentations about Health Information in Libraries and STEAM in Libraries. In addition, we’ll get to hear from authors Shannon and Dean Hale! Plus you’ll get to see the amazing Park City Library if you haven’t had the opportunity. Full program information and registration is now available here.
Lastly, ULA is partnering with ALA to be part of their Rebel Reader Twitter Tournament for Banned Books Week (Sept. 24-30). Complete at least one of the activities below during the week and use the hashtag #RebelReader to have a chance to win an array of literary prizes. Tag ULA (@UtahLibAssoc) as well so we can follow what our members tweet.
- Take a Selfie with a banned or challenged book
- Share a Video of yourself talking about censorship or reading from a banned or challenged book
- Post a Quote from a favorite banned or challenged book
- Share a Story about an educator who helped you learn the power of words
- Take a Photo of a completed ALA Banned Books Week coloring sheet
- Take a Photo of yourself with any Words Have Power swag
- Share a Link to your local library’s homepage or book selection policy
- Tweet Some Love at a banned author from this list: twitter.com/OIF/lists/banned-authors/members
President, Utah Library Association