UPLIFT – Utah Public Library Institute for Training
Through the Utah Public Library Institute for Training (UPLIFT), the Utah State Library provides training opportunities for Utah library staff and trustees, including basic training for non-MLS library staff, advanced training for the full library community, and training for library trustees, through special institutes, mini-workshops, teleconferences, grants to individuals and grants to library organizations.
The UPLIFT Basic Certification Training includes the popular core courses required to meet the personnel standard required for public library certification under Standards for Utah Public Libraries.
• Library Administration
• Cataloging/Acquisitions/Technical Services
• Youth Services
• Collection Development
The UPLIFT Advanced Training classes include, but are not limited to:
• Technology/computers in libraries
• Public Library Responses to Utah’s Growing Ethnic Populations.
• Library Administration Beyond the Basics
• Collection Development II
• Budgeting and Planning.
The Utah State Library provides trustee orientation upon request of the library board and biennial trustee training on vital library issues.
Customized Training by the Utah State Library provides customized training events, including special institutes, mini-workshops, teleconferences, and listservs.
Lynda.com Online Training Library®
The Utah State Library provides free online technology training such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Publisher, Photoshop, GarageBand, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, Fireworks, and many more topics. View the full listing at Lynda.com. This training is designed for rural public librarians in libraries over 50 miles away from the Utah State Library.
LE@D (Lifelong Education @ Desktop)
LE@D (Lifelong Education @ Desktop) teaches online courses that help Utah library staff deal with the daily challenges that are a part of their work life. The Utah State Library pays for these courses taught by instructors from the University of North Texas Library School. Courses available are:
• Basic budgeting
• Become an effective trustee
• Capturing history: digitization projects
• Change management and leadership
• Copyright basics for libraries
• Creating and maintaining an engaging school library website
• Creating collaborative lessons in the elementary school library
• Creating collaborative lessons in the secondary school library
• Creating compelling programming in your school library
• Ethical standards for library leadership
• Ethics in the real world
• Financial management
• Financial management in tough times
• Genealogy: an introduction for library staff
• Gifts for libraries
• Grant writing basics
• Homework help: your project is due WHEN?
• Improving co-worker relations
• Improving your communication skills: presentation skills for librarians
• Influence even when you don’t have power or authority
• Info-age etiquette
• Keeping your library looking good
• Leadership in libraries: becoming an everyday leader
• Library privacy and confidentiality: law and policy
• Managing difficult patrons with confidence!
• Meetings for results
• Mentors and protégés: creating successful workplace programs
• Multicultural literature for children and young adults
• Providing excellent customer service in a multi-cultural environment
• Reaching reluctant readers
• Reaching teenagers
• Retailing methods and techniques in libraries
• RFID technology
• Strategic planning: quick, cheap, and decent
• Strategic planning: the 5 minute introduction
• Supervision without micromanagement
• Technical Services: what they do, why they do it, and how it’s changing
• Trends in children’s literature
• Understanding budgets
• Using databases
• Volunteers: recruitment, development, and supervision
• Weeding: It’s not optional
Basic Skills Courses
For library employees who are new to library work, who have not formally trained in library science, or who are seeking to upgrade skills or knowledge.
• Book Repair
• Cataloging Basic Skills for the Uninitiated
• Collection Development for Small, Rural Library Audiences
• New Library Director Orientation.
• Reference Training for Continuing Staff Development
• Library Interiors
Cataloging Resources, heritage.utah.gov/library/cataloging-basics
The Utah State Library provides a variety of resources for catalogers, including cataloging, classification, MARC cataloging for the computer, subject headings, and other resources.
Public Pioneer – Utah’s Online Library, provided by the Utah State Library
Genealogy – Heritage Quest
Newspapers & Magazines
Health & Medical
Business & Finance
OverDrive – Audiobooks & eBooks
OneClickDigital – Audiobooks
Jobs and Careers
Homework Help for Kids & Teens
Utah Session Laws (1851- )
K-12 Schools Pioneer
Free Public Domain eBooks from Overdrive
Good Health Information @ your Library
Mountain West Digital Library
Magazine and newspaper articles
Find My Library
Digital Utah – Utah’s Digital Collections
Utah state publications, laws, counties, and other information
Other Pioneer databases
Content on this page contributed by Allene Dotson